Monday, March 13, 2017

Savings

It's been a while, but I'm back at this. Somehow I believe it will help someone 'out there'... More on that later.

Today I just realised that part of the reason why I failed miserably in the past when I tried to save money was because I didn't really think it through.

There are a number of simple reasons why your savings plan could be dead on arrival. I'll use the seed and bread analogy from Jesus.

You're trying to save your bread. Bread is meant to be eaten. If you haven't earned enough money to feed yourself, it will be very hard to save anything.

You're trying to save seed while it's planting season. If you hold onto your seed (money, skills, etc) at the time when you should be investing, when harvest time comes (or when your bills fall due) you will end up spending that seed.

You don't know when the seasons change. This is a painful one. Distractions can keep you from knowing when your planting season or harvest season comes.

You can't tell the difference between seed, flour and bread. Seed is anything you have or know that is of value. Flour is seed that has been processed for storage and use later. Flour is a form of savings. You can save to invest later or to eat later.

You need to realise that you can save all three, but in different ways and for different periods of time.

No comments: