Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Life in the sheep fold - That sweet Spirit

I love Pizza

Our life in God is like a very 'correct' pizza, enriched with an assortment of surprises, well-dispersed along the plains of perfectly baked flour that have been lovingly coated with molten cheese... (I leave the rest to your imagination)

Every christian knows that Jesus compared us to sheep। Why, he called Himself the Good Shepherd (John 10:14). This is one of many things Jesus told the disciples in a bid to get them to understand who he was and who they were.

I know that the sheep fold example talks about just one view of the Kingdom, but it interests me because it speaks of our continuing need for instruction, counsel and guidance।

After we learn the first few things about the Kingdom, we charge into the world and grab everybody by the collar and go 'repent or perish!' It takes a lot of energy to get people saved! So after a while, we run out of steam; then God calls us back to the fold। This cycle repeats itself throughout our lives, and these seasons of refreshing are carried out by an erudite faculty.

Welcome to the department of the Holy Spirit। I think He is a better example of a multi-tasker than the usual 'mother/wife in the household' idea...

...When we have chewed a mouthful of the emptier portions of our segment, He causes us to encounter a chunk of protein, lying alongside a piece of mushroom and some pepperoni। After that a cold sprite is on hand to douse our reactivated taste buds.

I love the Holy Spirit because He is really everything। He can use anything or any one to get a message across to you; but beyond that, He can tell you if the stuff you are hearing is right. (and believe me we hear a lot everyday - from the world, from our peers, from ourselves in the bathroom when we are alone, doing self-assessment)

God's love casts out fear from my heart because if I didn't know that He has approved of me already, I'd feel really rotten everytime I flopped। I'd think that an opportunity has just been lost and life is passing me by and... on and on and on। When we get caught up in this we could go on for weeks. Till we are exhausted. Then that sweet Spirit speaks (I burst out in tongues here) Sometimes he talks like a Delta man:

"Omo, na me wey call you। Everytin wey dey, dey my hand। U bi my pikin; u bi my pesin. Na me hol whistle, na me dey give prize. I don declare say na u go win. Wetin con dey worry u like dis? I don tell u before say u and lagbaja no dey go de same journey - so make u no dey look 'im side. Dis tin wey do u, dis place wey u dey, ur neighbours call am graveyard because dem be illitrate - me I dey call am valley of shadow of death - na one of my best classroom. When the microwave finish, eh, na so u go hear 'CHING!!!' and e go come be like say na yesterday we dem see u as one small boy, and overnight u come be Prime Minister.

Everytin wey dey, dey my hand। So...tell dem say No shaking!"


I don't know how anyone can live without that sweet spirit। If you won't tell your neighbour to get saved, at least tell him/her what they are missing।

The peace of the Lord be with you।

Derek Nwafor

No comments: